Summer is in full swing in Australia and everywhere you look there are stunning roses out in bloom. While roses are a fairly hardy shrub, here are a few tips to keeping the flowering beautifully through to autumn.
- Roses need a light mid-summer prune to remove deadheads and encourage new growth, prune as if you are picking the stems for cut flowers.
- Give roses a deep soak once a week in high summer when there is little or no rain.
- Roses newly planted will need a little more water in their first season as they establish their roots.
- Keep roses mulched to lock in soil moisture and smother weeds.
- Keep humidity down by watering the roots (not the leaves) and make sure there is good air circulation around each shrub.
- Most importantly, enjoy these beautiful blooms!