Sometimes the only thing that will satisfy a carb and sugar craving is a classic jam donut! There is something about the pillowy soft dough, sweet strawberry filling and fried sugar-coated outside that manages to hit the spot like nothing else does!
Our Homemade Jam Donut recipe is easy, don’t be daunted by the jam filling, it is a simple as using a piping bag to fill with jam after the donuts have been fried. Then dust with a little sugar (or a lot!) and enjoy the sweet goodness! Trust us, your family and friends will thank you for this recipe!
For the dough
500g (4 cups) all-purpose flour
7g (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
250ml (1 cup) lukewarm milk
50g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
60g (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the filling
Your favorite jam (strawberry, raspberry, or apricot work well)
Powdered (icing) sugar, for dusting
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in lukewarm milk. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, softened butter, egg, and salt. Pour in the yeast mixture. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thickness. Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out donut shapes. Place the donuts on a floured baking sheet and cover them with a kitchen towel. Let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a heavy-bottomed pan to 350°F (180°C).
- Carefully add the donuts to the hot oil, frying them for about 1-2 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the donuts from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Once the donuts are cool enough to handle, use a piping bag or a small knife to fill them with your favorite jam.
- Dust the filled donuts with powdered sugar. Serve warm and enjoy your homemade classic jam donuts! Serve and enjoy!