Honestly is there anything sweeter than a dollop of delicious homemade lemon curd? Whether you serve it on pancakes, use it in your favorite dessert recipe or simple spread it on toasted sourdough bread , being able to make your own lemon curd is a skill we should all have! This microwave version could not be easier to make and takes no time at all. Thank us later!
Ingredients (Makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ⅔ cup (160ml) lemon juice (approx. 2 lemons)
- 125g chilled butter, diced
- Pancakes and blueberries to serve
- Combine egg yolks, egg, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a large heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Whisk with a balloon whisk until combined.
- Add the diced butter and place onto the microwave turntable.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to reduce microwave power to 50%. Cook uncovered for 7-10 minutes, stirring every minute until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (see tips below).
- Cover the curd surface with plastic wrap to prevent it from forming a skin. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
- To serve, spoon lemon curd onto pancakes and top with fresh blueberries
- Begin checking the thickness of the curd at 6 minutes cooking time.
- Dip a spoon into the curd then run your finger over the back of it. If it leaves a clean line in the curd, it’s cooked enough and ready to cool.
- Microwaves vary in type, wattage and size, so cooking times may vary. Use cooking times as a guide.
- Curd will thicken as it cools.
- Spoon into a container, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.