From your midsection looks to body size, your appearance plays a vital role in your day-to-day life. Unfortunately, only a small percentage of men and women are completely satisfied with their appearance. In some cases, help is available, especially if a stubborn, belly pooch bothers you.
A tummy tuck can be beneficial for you if you are experiencing excess fat or saggy skin around and below the belly button. It can eliminate the stubborn excess skin, fat, and tissue that can’t even be shed with a healthy diet and regular exercise. It can drastically change the appearance of your belly while also tightening the abdomen muscles. Not only women but men also can benefit from a tummy tuck.
If you are considering a tummy tuck to streamline your physique, here are a few questions to ask yourself and your surgeon to help to make a more informed decision.
1. How is a Tummy Tuck Performed?
Because it is a surgical procedure, understanding how a tummy tuck is performed should be one of the first questions to ask. The overall process of a tummy tuck depends on your goals and the extent of change you would like to see.
Here are the 3 steps of a tummy tuck procedure:
1) Anesthesia – This surgery is done in the hospital and takes between one to five hours. During a procedure, you will get general anesthesia, which will put you to “sleep” during the operation and make you unable to feel pain. In some cases, you might be given a pain-relieving medication and be moderately sedated.
2) Incision – Your plastic surgeon makes incisions to remove excess skin and fat around your abdominal area and pubic hair in a horizontal oval or elliptical shape. Connective tissue that lies over the abdominal muscles is then tightened with permanent sutures.
3) Results – By removing excess skin and fat, you will get a flatter, and firmer abdominal contour.
2. What are the Benefits of a Tummy Tuck?
After understanding the procedure, you may be wondering about the real benefits of undergoing a tummy tuck surgery.
1) Tummy tucks are especially beneficial for people who have a large waistline or a protruding stomach.
2) If you are suffering from chronic low back pain due to obesity, a tummy tuck can alleviate the pain
3) A tummy tuck can improve your posture and help you look and feel better.
4) A tummy tuck can help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and another scarring.
5) A tummy tuck can improve your appearance and boost your confidence and self-esteem.
6) You will also get relief from ventral hernia when you consider a tummy tuck.
3. Am I a Good Candidate For A Tummy Tuck?
You and your doctor will work together to know about your medical history and goals for this procedure. Based on this information, your cosmetic surgeon decides whether you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck surgery.
4. What Diet do You Follow Before and After Surgery?
Before surgery, a nutritious diet will help to ensure a successful outcome. Your diet should also contain the daily recommended amount of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains. All of these foods are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will help to improve your digestion and help to reduce the risk of postoperative complications.
After surgery, you want to take light meals for the first week. That typically starts with water, juices, protein shake, yogurt, and soups. After a few days, you can move on to raw fruits and vegetables, whole-grain cereals, soft cheeses, and pudding.
5. How Long Will It Take to Recover?
Recovery time from a tummy tuck varies from person to person. The total time it takes to recover depends on your specific health and the type of procedure you had. In general, a tummy tuck can take several weeks, but most people return to work after about 1 month. One thing to keep in mind, you had major surgery on your abdomen, so avoid any heavy lifting activities for six months.
A tummy tuck is an effective and safe way to get the flatter, smoother, tighter abdomen you have been dreaming of. It can be performed on both men and women who have saggy abdominal areas. So, stop settling for a mid-section that makes you feel self-conscious, and take steps to improve how you look and feel today.