You’d never believe this creamy vegan mushroom pasta is entirely plant-based. It’s so easy to make and extra satisfying thanks to its rich gravy-like sauce. Packed with umami and a hint of cheese flavour from miso and nutritional yeast, this comforting winter warmer takes only 30 minutes to whip up. Perfect for a meat-free weeknight meal! Recipe by Liz Douglas from Glow Diaries.
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Pasta
Ingredients (serves 2 generously)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk (soy or almond work well)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons light miso paste
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 g dry penne, or pasta of choice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chilli flakes
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions, reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. Heat olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5-7 minutes until they start to brown.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the minced garlic and dried thyme, stirring for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the miso paste, nutritional yeast, and Dijon mustard, stirring until the mushrooms are coated.
- Add the milk and balsamic vinegar, increase the heat to medium to bring the sauce to a simmer. Stir constantly for approximately 3-5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and gently stir to combine. If the sauce seems too thick, you can add some of the reserved pasta water.
- Serve in pasta bowls and top with freshly ground black pepper, fresh parsley leaves and chilli flakes. For an optional cheesy twist, add on some vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast flakes. Enjoy!
Watch Liz make this recipe below!