Running both a family and a beauty business that sells products around the world is no small challenge, but one that’s familiar to Miranda Waple, the CEO and founder of The Six Senses Group – a global distributor of premium beauty brands including the New Zealand founded Karen Walker Fragrances, men’s skincare brand Handsome and now Blessed By Nature, an all natural, organically derived skincare range small batch made in Melbourne.
Miranda is no stranger to the beauty industry, having spent 9 years with L’Oréal in Paris involved in new product development and later international business for the brands’ Luxe Division, which included Helena Rubinstein.
Returning to Auckland, NZ, in 2004, Miranda spent an additional 8 years with the French beauty house in charge of brands such as Lancome, Kiehl’s, Viktor & Rolf, and Giorgio Armani, before taking a leap of faith in 2013 to embark on a new venture, having successfully pitched a fragrance collection to iconic Kiwi fashion designer, Karen Walker.We catch up with Miranda to find out a little more about her life.
1. What would you be doing if you had chosen a different career?
My passion is creating beautiful things that people enjoy, so maybe a writer or winemaker.
2. How do you define success?
Success is being happy while making others happy.
3. What is the most surprising thing about you?
I work fourteen hours a day, but still make my family my priority.
4. If your life was a movie what would it be?
5. What is your morning regime?
Up before the family to handle emails and calls with London, Paris, New York and Australia – then I make breakfast and drop the kids at school.
6. Do you have a nickname?
All of my French friends called me Mimi when I lived in Paris.
7. What is your favorite meal to cook?
When I have time I make a mean boeuf bourguignon.
8. What is your most treasured item of clothing?
My wedding dress. That’s hard to beat.
9. What is the last book that you read?
Ballots, Bullets & Kabulshit by Toby Ralph.
10. If you could only eat three dishes for the rest of your life what would they be?
Freshly shucked oysters, panfried scallops, and tomato mozzarella salad.
11. Can you speak more than one language?
I lived and worked in France for years, so I am fluent in French.
12. Who is the one person that always makes you laugh?
My husband Ben.
13. What is the most played song on your playlist?
It changes every week.
14. Where is one place you have always wanted to visit?
I’d love to see the cave houses of Cappadocia in Turkey.
15. What plant or flowers do you always have in your home?
Our Blessed by Nature range uses indigenous botanicals, so they are always flling our vases.
16. Your most memorable holiday?
Discovering the natural unspoilt beauty of Langkawi Island with my family.
17. How do you relax?
I love reading, on my own and with my boys.
18. How many hours a week do you usually work?
Probably eighty for my company – then there’s running a family too….
19. What are the three beauty items always in your beauty cabinet?
Blessed by Nature Hydrating Foaming Cleanser, Hydrating Dewy Moisturiser and Triple Action Eye Cream. I know it works because we made it.
20. Instagram, facebook, pinterest or twitter?
Not as much as I’d like. Time is elusive.
21. What is the one thing we would always find in your fridge?
22. Your favourite board game?
I play chess every weekend with the kids.
23. City, country, mountains or beach?
It’s the mix of all that makes them special. Why limit to one when there’s so much to enjoy?
24. Who would play you in a movie based on your life?
I’d like to think Cate Blanchett, but they’d probably pick Rebel Wilson.
25. What was your first job?
After studying business in France I started as a junior marketer at L’Oreal in Paris.
26. What is your favourite app?
Whatsapp, with friends, family and suppliers in Italy and Portugal.
27. What is the most important piece of advice you have ever been given?
Make things people want, that really work.
28. Rain, snow or sunshine?
Sunshine – but like many things, variation is precious.
29. What is your favorite room in your house?
The kitchen is the hub of our home. It’s where we laugh and cook and share.
30. What is your go-to drink of choice?
31. Who has had the biggest impact on your life?
My parents, my brother, my two boys – but ultimately my husband Ben.
32. In which city do you feel most at home?
33. Who is your style icon?
Karen Walker. That’s why I approached her to make a fragrance. She even has her own Barbie!
34. If you could only be remembered for one thing what would it be?
Helping women have simple, affordable, natural skincare that really works.
35. What is the one thing you want everyone to know about you?
Spreading happiness matters.
Want more? Click here for Getting To Know Tom and Sacha, Owners of SunButter Sunscreen.