Our Peach, Prosciutto and Halloumi Salad is a classic recipe that you will make time and time again!
This salad recipe uses summer stone fruits such as peaches or nectarines and pairs them with prosciutto and halloumi for a delicious and unique flavor combination. Recipe and images by Jo O’Keefe for ele Magazine. See more of Jo’s recipes here.
Don’t have all of the ingredients at home? Try these recipe substitutions.
- Peaches can be substituted with nectarines, apricots, or plums.
- Prosciutto can be substituted with bacon, pancetta, or smoked turkey.
- Halloumi cheese can be substituted with feta cheese, goat cheese, or mozzarella.
- Arugula and spinach can be substituted with spinach, mixed greens, or kale.
- Walnuts can be substituted with almonds, pistachios, or pecans.
- Balsamic vinegar can be substituted with red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar.
- Olive oil can be substituted with avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or walnut oil.
- Honey can be added to the dressing for a touch of sweetness.
- Fresh herbs like basil or mint can be added to the salad for extra flavor.
- Grilled chicken or shrimp can be added for a protein boost.
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 cups (about 900g) of arugula (rocket) or baby spinach leaves
Handful of fresh herbs (optional) such as basil or mint
4 peaches or nectarines
8 slices of prosciutto
250 grams (8.8 oz) of halloumi cheese
Olive oil, for brushing
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon (15ml) of apple cider vinegar
1 clove of garlic, finely crushed
1/4 cup (60ml) of olive oil
- In a salad bowl or platter, spread out 4 cups of mixed salad greens or baby spinach leaves.
- In a separate bowl or jar, mix together the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and chopped garlic. Whisk in 1/4 cup (60ml) of olive oil and set aside.
Cut the peaches or nectarines in half and remove the pits. Wrap each fruit half in a slice of prosciutto and brush with a touch of olive oil.
- Grill the wrapped peaches or nectarines on a hot BBQ or oven bake at 180C (350F) until the prosciutto is crispy.
- Slice the halloumi cheese into 8 slices and brush with a touch of olive oil. Grill on both sides until charred.
- Place the grilled peach halves and halloumi slices over the salad greens. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.
Optional: Add additional ingredients such as blanched green beans, asparagus, or broccolini stems, roasted pine nuts or chopped toasted almonds, or a can of drained and rinsed lentils for a more hearty salad.