This delicious Watermelon Cake from Lorna Jane Clarkson’s new cookbook Nourish really does let you have your cake and eat it too! Refreshing and good for you it’s also makes a dramatic statement for any gathering or celebration.
No cooking is required and you can substitute the figs with other fruits if you prefer.
Refresh Watermelon Cake
Prep time 20 minutes | Serves 8
Nutritional count per serving: protein (7g), carbohydrate (11.8g), total fat (7.8g), fibre (1.7g).
- 1kg (2-pound) large round piece of seedless watermelon
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 2 cups (480g) ricotta cheese
- 3 medium fresh figs (120g), quartered or halved
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped roasted unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh small mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons raw honey, extra
- Remove skin and rind from watermelon, keeping the flesh as a whole round piece.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel rind thinly from the lime. Cut lime rind into long, fine strips. Juice lime; reserve 2 tablespoons juice.
- Combine lime juice and honey in a small bowl; stir in ricotta.
- Place watermelon piece on serving plate; spread ricotta mixture on top. Pile figs on top; sprinkle with nuts, mint and lime rind.
- Drizzle with extra honey before serving, cut into wedges.