Sunshine, surf and great food Bondi, in Sydney’s east, is renowned the world over for its laidback beachside city lifestyle. There are no shortage of excellent places to eat and drink and Rocker in North Bondi is one of our current favourites. We chatted to Rocker’s Head Chef and Co-Owner, Stuart Toon to find out a little bit more about his life.
1. What would you be doing if you had chosen a different career?
Probably a graphic designer or artist.
2. How do you define success?
By being happy and others around you being happy.
3. What is the most surprising thing about you?
I’m not as old as I look.
4. If your life was a movie what would it be?
5. What is your morning routine!
Walk the dog, drink a strong flat white, gym if all goes to plan.
6. Do you have a nickname?
7. What is your favourite meal to cook?
8. What is your most treasured item of clothing?
I’ve reordered the same pair of black shorts for the last 4 years.
9. What is the last book that you read?
Bo Bech (cookbook) but that counts?
10. If you could only eat three dishes for the rest of your life what would they be?
Ramen, tacos, pasta.
11. Can you speak more than one language?
A bit of French.
12. Who is the one person that always makes you laugh?
Gus, our Bar Manager at Rocker.
13. What is the most played song on your playlist?
Something by Fleetwood Mac most likely.
14. Where is one place you have always wanted to visit?
15. What plant or flowers do you always have in your home?
16. Your most memorable holiday?
I did a 50-stop food tour of Europe in 2017 that I will always remember.
17. How do you relax?
Go out for nice meals; my favourite hobby.
18. How many hours a week do you usually work?
45 in the restaurant and a bit on the side.
19. What are the three beauty items always in your beauty cabinet?
Toothpaste, toothbrush, shower gel.
20. Instagram, facebook, pinterest or twitter?
Instagram always, I don’t have the others.
21. What is the one thing we would always find in your fridge?
Random jars of sauces, condiments, years old…and cheese.
22. Your favourite board game?
23. City, country, mountains or beach?
24. Who would play you in a movie based on your life?
25. What was your first job?
Breakfast prep chef.
26. What is your favourite app?
27. What is the most important piece of advice you have ever been given?
Work hard, be a nice guy, what goes around comes around – It’s my golden rule.
28. Rain, snow or sunshine?
29. What is your favourite room in your house?
30. What is your go-to drink of choice?
31. Who has had the biggest impact on your life?
Most likely my Mum and Dad back in the day
32. In which city do you feel most at home?
Rome but I can’t speak Italian so probably Sydney.
33. Who is your style icon?
I’m all about comfort over style.
34. If you could only be remembered for one thing what would it be?
I’d love to be remembered as a hard-working, humble & honest person.
35. What is the one thing you want everyone to know about you?
I still can’t surf, if anyone reading this in Bondi wants to offer free lessons… hit me up x
Want more? Click here for our interview with artist Dina Broadhurst and here for our Day in the Life of Australia’s Queen of Chocolate, Kirsten Tibballs.