In Freya Cox’s new cookbook Simply Vegan Baking, Freya gives classic desserts a vegan makeover. These New York Style Cookies are one of our favorite recipes from her book.
Vegan chocolate spread or Biscoff spread, plus extra to drizzle
150g (5½oz) vegan butter
100g (3½oz) soft light brown sugar
75g (2½oz) granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g (9oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
50g (1¾oz) cornflour (cornstarch)
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2 tbsp plant milk
½ tsp salt
200g (7oz) vegan chocolate chunks
- Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Scoop a teaspoon of the spread for each cookie and place it on a small plate. Pop this in the freezer whilst you make the cookie dough.
- Put the butter and both sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer, if you have one – or into a large mixing bowl if you are using an electric hand whisk – and cream together until light in colour and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the chocolate chunks and mix to a rough cookie dough. Add the chocolate chunks and mix until evenly distributed.
- Divide the cookie dough into eight balls. Flatten the ball of dough, then take one of the frozen teaspoons of spread and form it into a ball. Place it into the centre of the cookie dough and enclose the dough around it so that no spread is visible. Repeat to fill the remaining seven cookies.
- Place all the dough balls onto a lined baking tray and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF) fan.
- Split the cookies between the two lined trays so there are four on each. Bake for 15–18 minutes until lightly golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the trays. To finish you can drizzle the top with some melted spread. Enjoy!