Caprese salad never fails to remind us of warm summer days, drinking wine and eating al fresco in beautiful Italy. A classic Caprese is the perfect accompaniment to an Italian style feast or served alongside meat and fish.
The team behind Fratelli Fresh Grosvenor Place in Sydney have shared a classic Caprese salad recipe with us that you can make at home.
The new restaurant located in Sydney’s The Rocks district blends the delicious Fratelli Fresh DNA with a more deluxe dining experience. Seasonality and simplicity underscore the menu, including this traditional Caprese salad that graces the antipasti section and screams ‘Summertime!’
Recreate this simple dish at home and serve as part of a shared Italian feast.
Caprese (serves 4)
4 heirloom tomatoes
100g ball of buffalo mozzarella
Extra virgin olive oil (we use Terra di Bari Castel del Monte, which is from Head Chef Mariocristian Carella’s hometown of Bari in Puglia)
8-10 fresh basil leaves
Maldon sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
1. Slice tomatoes evenly (around ½ cm thick) and dress with salt and pepper.
2. Place a single layer of tomato slices on a presentation plate, slightly overlapping.
3. Add buffalo mozzarella ball in the centre of the plate (or tear into pieces and scatter over the tomato if you want a more rustic looking salad).
4. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the mozzarella and tomato. Scatter with fresh basil leaves.
5. Serve with a selection of summery Italian dishes and fresh focaccia.