Mayonnaise is one of our favorite condiments! This versatile and creamy sauce adds a delightful tangy flavor to a wide variety of dishes. Making your own mayonnaise at home allows you to control the ingredients and customize the flavors according to your preference, plus there is nothing better than homemade mayo slathered on a fresh crusty roll and piled high with cheese and salad! Try our recipe now which is made with a whole egg for extra goodness.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (15 ml)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (236 ml), a mild tasting oil works best
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (5 ml)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the egg yolk, Dijon mustard, and white vinegar.
- Using a whisk or an electric mixer on low speed, beat the mixture until well blended.
- Gradually add the vegetable oil, pouring it in a slow, steady stream while continuously whisking. This process helps the oil emulsify with the other ingredients and create a thick, creamy texture.
- Keep whisking until the mixture thickens and reaches the desired consistency.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk again to combine the flavors evenly. Taste the mayonnaise and adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- Transfer the homemade mayonnaise to a clean, airtight jar or container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Creating your own homemade mayonnaise allows you to elevate the flavors of your favorite dishes and customize the taste according to your liking. With this classic mayonnaise recipe, you can enjoy a rich and creamy condiment. So, gather your ingredients, whisk up a batch, and savor the satisfaction of homemade goodness in every bite!
Want more recipes? Click here.