Light, fluffy, cheesy ricotta goodness flavored with green mint and chives, drizzled with fresh lemon juice – there is so much to love about these fritters! They don’t take a long time to prepare which makes them ideal to whip up when you want a delicious breakfast or easy-to-make lunch.
Add a slice of smoked salmon and a dollop of crème fraiche or a rasher of bacon and you have a decadent dish that is sure to impress!
Cheese Substitute: If you don’t have parmesan cheese, you can use grana padano, pecorino romano, or manchego cheese instead.
Flour Substitute: If you are gluten-free, you can substitute the plain flour with gluten-free flour or almond flour.
Egg Substitute: If you prefer a vegan version, you can replace the egg with a flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water) or a chia egg (1 tablespoon of chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons of water).
Herb Substitute: If you don’t have fresh mint and chives, you can use dried herbs or other fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or cilantro.
Spring Onion Substitute: If you don’t have spring onions, you can use shallots, red onions, or green onions instead.
Oil Substitute: If you prefer a healthier option, you can use a non-stick cooking spray instead of olive oil.
Ingredients (makes approximately 8 fritters)
- 400 grams of fresh ricotta cheese (14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons of finely grated parmesan cheese (30 grams)
- 2 heaped tablespoons of plain flour (25 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chives, chopped plus extra to serve
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped plus extra to serve
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, flour, egg, and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped chives and mint and mix well.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Spoon a large spoonful of the batter into the hot oil to make one fritter. Repeat to make 3-4 fritters at a time, depending on the size of your frying pan.
- Cook the fritters for about 2-4 minutes on one side until golden brown, then flip and cook for another 2-4 minutes until both sides are golden and the fritter is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve, divide the fritters between two plates and drizzle with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, chopped spring onions, and extra chives and mint.