Belgium born and raised, Remco Brigou, 30, trained as a chef at ‘Hotelschool Ter Duinen’ in Koksijde Belgium. Discovering his love of pastry and chocolate, Remco specialized in these fields by working as a pastry chef and chocolatier in some of Belgium’s leading chocolate companies including Del Rey, Chocopolis and Mary, an artisan chocolatier that supplied chocolates to the Royal Family.
Remco’s most influential role was his first job at Pierre Marcolini in Brussels where he refined his skills as a chocolatier and learned what it takes to work in a large chocolate production.
After working for six years in different chocolate shops, Remco moved to Australia in 2012 to start up the chocolate production at the Yarra Valley chocolaterie and Ice Creamery and took on the role of 2IC. Recognizing his expertise and skills, Remco was handpicked by Chez Dre to open their Bibelot patisserie in South Melbourne as head chocolatier and start up the chocolate production, a position he held for 1.5 years before moving to Koko Black at the start of 2017.
Regarded as one of the best chocolatiers in Australia, Remco is Koko Black’s Resident head chocolatier and product innovator. He oversees all product developments of all the menus across the company’s 14 stores nationally. We ask him 35 questions and find out a little more about his life.
1. What would you be doing if you had chosen a different career?
A camera man shooting nature documentarie
2. How do you define success?
When I see the smile I can bring to people’s faces while watching them enjoy the food I’ve cooked after putting my heart and soul into it.
3. What is the most surprising thing about you?
I used to play the drums!
4. If your life was a movie what would it be?
An action movie set in the kitchen.
5. What is your morning regime?
I wake up, get my son ready and take him to school. Then it’s off to work with a coffee!
6. Do you have a nickname?
7. What is your favorite meal to cook?
8. What is your most treasured item of clothing?
A shirt from my grandfather in Belgium.
9. What is the last book that you read?
The Jack Reacher series from Lee Child. I’m up to book 13!
10. If you could only eat three dishes for the rest of your life what would they be?
Burgers, Nasi Goreng and of course Chocolate.
11. Can you speak more than one language?
I can speak Dutch, French & English fluently and understand a little of Italian & German.
12. Who is the one person that always makes you laugh?
13. What is the most played song on your playlist?
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd.
14. Where is one place you have always wanted to visit?
15. What plant or flowers do you always have in your home?
Herbs (basil, mint & rosemary).
16. Your most memorable holiday?
When I went to Ko Tao in Thailand to get my diving certificate.
17. How do you relax?
I like to read a book or go bouldering.
18. How many hours a week do you usually work?
Around 45 – 50 hours.
19. What are the three beauty items always in your beauty cabinet?
20. Instagram, facebook, pinterest or twitter?
21. What is the one thing we would always find in your fridge?
Sourdough starter to make my own sourdough bread.
22. Your favourite board game?
The Game of Life.
23. City, country, mountains or beach?
24. Who would play you in a movie based on your life?
25. What was your first job?
A kitchen hand at about 14.
26. What is your favourite app?
27. What is the most important piece of advice you have ever been given?
Respect the people that cook your food.
27. Rain, snow or sunshine?
28. What is your favorite room in your house?
39. What is your go-to drink of choice?
31. Who has had the biggest impact on your life?
Jamie Oliver – it’s because of him I went into hospitality and was put on this path. He was a chef, played the drums and rode a vespa – I knew I wanted that life!
32. In which city do you feel most at home?
33. Who is your style icon?
35. If you could only be remembered for one thing what would it be?
Being a good Dad.
35. What is the one thing you want everyone to know about you?
Every piece of chocolate I make comes from the heart and soul.
Want more? Click here for our interview with artist Dina Broadhurst and here for our Day in the Life of Australia’s Queen of Chocolate, Kirsten Tibballs.