Making a perfect roast chicken at home shouldn’t be daunting! With a few simple tips you can make a delicious roast every time.
This recipe is designed to help you achieve a delicious and juicy chicken every time. These tips and tricks will guide you through the process of seasoning and roasting your chicken to perfection. With the combination of herbs and aromatics and proper temperature control, you’ll be able to create a succulent and flavorful chicken that will be the star of any meal. So, get ready to take your roast chicken game to the next level and impress your friends and family with your culinary roasting skills!
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Roast Chicken
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is fully cooked before serving.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 10-15 minutes before carving to allow the juices to redistribute.
- To achieve a crispy skin, make sure to pat the chicken dry before roasting and baste it with butter or oil.
- If you have a convection oven, use the convection roast setting for an even more crispy skin.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices to find the perfect flavor combination for your taste.
- A good rule of thumb is to roast your chicken for 25 minutes per 500 grams.
- For a more golden color on the skin, you can brush it with a mixture of beaten egg yolk and milk before roasting. This is one of our favorite roast chicken hacks!
The Perfect Roast Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole 1.5kg chicken – inside cleaned, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Herbs of your choice, finely chopped (we love to use a mix of rosemary, thyme and oregano)
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 baby carrots
- 2 tbsp butter or oil (optional)
- 1 beaten egg yolk (optional)
- 1 tbsp milk (optional)
- Stuffing (see recipe below)
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Season the skin of the chicken with salt, pepper, and any other desired herbs or spices.
- If desired, stuff the chicken with homemade stuffing or herbs and vegetables.
- Place the chicken on a bed of chopped onions, carrots and celery in a roasting pan, breast side up.
- Brush the chicken skin with a mixture of beaten egg yolk and milk for a golden color.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, tucking the wings under the body and tying the legs together with kitchen twine if desired.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C). Check that the juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and allow the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before carving and serving. Enjoy!
Roast Chicken Stuffing Recipe
- 2 cups of bread cubes, cut from a loaf of crusty bread
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 1 large egg, beaten
Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and set aside.
In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic to the pan and cook until the vegetables are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, sage, salt, and pepper to the pan and cook for another minute.
Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and mix until the bread is well coated. Gradually add the chicken stock and egg to the bread mixture, stirring until the mixture is moist but not too wet.
Spoon the stuffing mixture into the chicken cavity, spreading it evenly.
Want more? Click here for A Classic Italian Carbonara Recipe and here for an Excellent Eggplant Lasagne Recipe by Alice Zaslavsky.