An easy make-ahead wholesome soup with a hint of spice and a touch of sweetness from the roasted capsicum – perfect for a cosy night in! To make it vegetarian you can omit the chorizo sausage. It is also suitable to freeze any leftovers.
This recipe, along with many more delicious recipes and ideas, features in Issue 4 of ele Magazine.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
Recipe & images: Jo O’Keefe for ele Magazine
2 chorizo sausages, chopped or skins removed and filling squeezed out
500g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into large cubes
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic (these can go in whole or roughly sliced)
1 red capsicum, roasted, peeled and deseeded*
1 1/2 cups red lentils
7 cups water
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
1. In a large soup pot, lightly fry one of the chorizo sausages either as crumbles or chopped in to little pieces. Set aside and for topping the cooked soup.
2. Using the same pot, add the vegetables (except for the red capsicum), remaining chorizo and garlic using the left-over chorizo and fry off a little just to get some colour on the sausage meat before adding in the lentils in, stock cube and the 7 cups of water.
3. Let the soup come to the boil and then simmer until the lentils are soft and the vegetables are soft. Add in the cooked capsicum.
4. Blend with a stick blender or standard blender until smooth.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve steamy hot soup in bowls topped with a spoon of sour cream and the crumbled crispy chorizo. You could top with crumbled feta cheese too!
*To roast capsicum, pre-heat oven to 200C. Place the whole capsicum on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for approximately 35-45 minutes until the capsicum is fully roasted and the skin slightly blackened. Remove from oven, allow to cool and remove stem, seeds and skin.