Toasted, buttered hot cross buns are one of life’s little pleasures – add a little rum and Easter just got a whole lot more fun! Chef Matthew Butcher has created this delicious hot cross bun inspired drink, the Hot Cross Rum Cocktail.
The Hot Cross Rum cocktail boasts hero ingredients of dark rum, ruby port and of course, a couple of hot cross buns. The sugar syrup, which can be made from scratch, tops off this ultimate Easter cocktail. Matt shares his recipe with us below so you can also enjoy this cocktail at home this Easter.
60ml dark rum
10ml Ruby Port
10ml melted butter
1 whole egg
15ml spiced sugar syrup* (see recipe below)
2 x hot cross bun (second hot cross bun, to slice and toast for garnish)
1. Add all ingredients, except hot cross bun into a shaker to combine and emulsify.
2. Add the mixed ingredients and 1 x hot cross bun into blender. Blend on high until the hot cross bun is fully pulverized.
3. Strain and gently press down on sediment to push absorbed liquid out.
4. Shake over ice and strain.
5. Serve with Hot Cross Bun toasted chips. Enjoy!
Spiced Sugar Syrup Recipe
1. Add 100g water and 100g sugar to saucepan on medium heat.
2. Add ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder, ginger powder, 1 star anise, 4 cloves, or desired amounts, stir until sugar and powders are dissolved.
3. Strain through cheesecloth. The sugar syrup will keep up to 1 week in the fridge.