The classic Sunday Roast gets an update with this delicious roasted rubbed beef with fennel and rosemary. This roast is delicious for a family or friends lunch or dinner, great for any festive occasion or perfect for your traditional Sunday roast. Any leftover beef makes the perfect filling for sandwiches or rolls the next day.
Recipe By Joanne O’Keefe for ele Magazine.
Beef (Serves 12)
4 kg piece of sirloin beef or easy carve beef
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup fennel seeds
21/2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
12 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 160C degrees.
2. In a mortar and pestle crush the fennel seeds with garlic, salt and 1/2 the olive oil adding salt to make a paste.
3. Pan fry beef on all sides until browned and then remove and rub beef with fennel paste sit onto a baking paper lined tray scattered with rosemary twigs and put in to the oven.
4. Bake for 1 hr and 15 minutes for medium rare (add 15 minutes for medium).
5. Remove from oven and rest beef for at least 30 minutes before carving.
Mix 1 cup of your favourite mayonnaise 3 tablespoons of horseradish cream and a 1/2 cup sour cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve in a bowl next to beef platter.
*Tip – Make a quick gravy with the beef’s resting juices thickened with some plain flour and a drizzle of red wine serve piping hot in a jug.
Want more? Click here for Roast Beef, Spinach and Hummus Salad and here for Green Vegetables with Smoked Almonds and Red Peppers.