Recipe & Images by Jo O’Keefe for ele Magazine.
Ever since we first featured this delicious Blue Cheese and Broccolini tart in the second issue of ele Magazine it has been on hot rotation in our dinner repertoire. The perfect mix of creamy tart mix, sharp blue cheese and crunchy walnuts with fresh green broccolini, this tart is so easy to love!
If you must have meat you can top with pancetta, or add bacon pieces to the tart mix, however we love this just as it is – a cheesy delicious tart that is perfect for lunch, dinner or for school and work lunch boxes.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
225g plain flour
40g shaved parmesan or tasty cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
150g butter chilled
1 bunch broccolini, woody ends removed
120g blue cheese
1 cup cream
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1. Make cheese pastry by pulsing in a food processor the flour, parmesan, salt and butter to make crumbs. Remove from food processor, add in 2 tablespoons of cold water to form a ball, flatten into a disc and wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
2. Roll pastry out in to a 24 cm flan tin and rest again in the fridge.
3. Heat oven to 180C (350F). Bake pastry shell blind using pastry weights or dried beans for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
4. Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, & thyme pour in to the pastry base. Arrange walnuts and broccolini on top and crumble with blue cheese.
5. Bake for 35 minutes until set and golden. Tart can be served warm or cool. This tart is delicious served with an easy side salad of rocket leaves and thinly sliced firm green pear drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice. Enjoy!