Nuts and seeds are some of the best plant based sources of iron. Especially hemp, chia, cashews and flaxseeds, all of which are included in these bars.
These bars are a great snack to include in your diet because they not only boost the iron in your diet but they are super delicious and versatile. They are perfect for lunchboxes or to have on hand for morning and afternoon treats.
Approximate Iron content per serve = 2.9mg
16.11% daily intake for women 19-50
36.25% daily intake for men 19+
Nut and Seed Bar Recipe
Ingredients (makes 8 bars)
1 cup roasted almonds
1/2 cup walnuts
1/3 cup Brazil nuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pepitas
1/4 cup hemp seeds
2 tbsp flaxseeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
12 medjool dates
1/4 cup rice malt syrup
1/2 cup cashew butter
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
200g dark chocolate
2 tbsp olive oil
- Soak the dates in boiling water for 5 minutes and drain.
- Place the nuts and seeds into a food processor and pulse a few times to chops.
- Pour nuts into a bowl and stir through the cinnamon.
- Place the drained dates into the food processor with rice malt, cashew butter, vanilla and salt and blend until a paste forms.
- Add the paste to the bowl with the nuts and seeds and use your hands or a spatula to combine until the mix is sticky.
- Press this nut and seed mixture firmly into a lined square baking tray and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double burner and stir through the oil. Pour over the nut and seed and place into the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Allow to set in fridge before slicing.
*You can decorate this slice with extra chocolate and dried fruit.