We love pesto and our Spinach and Basil Pesto Fettuccine recipe is a perfect combination of fresh greens, creamy cheese, and perfectly cooked pasta! This dish is easy to make and can be customized with various ingredients. Whether you’re cooking for a family dinner or simply whipping up an easy weeknight dinner this recipe is sure to impress everyone.
Recipe substitutions and additions
- Pasta – You can use any type of pasta you prefer, such as linguine or spaghetti.
- Pistachio Nuts – If you don’t have pine nuts, you can use walnuts, almonds or pine nuts instead.
- Spinach – If you don’t have fresh spinach, you can use frozen spinach. Thaw it fully and squeeze out the excess water before using it.
- Recipe additions – you can add fresh mozzarella on top, halved cherry tomatoes or even sliced roast chicken to this dish.
- 500g (1 pound) fettuccine pasta
- 2 cups (60g) fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups (60g) fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (120ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (50g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup (45g) shelled pistachio nuts, plus extra to serve on top
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- In the meantime in a food processor, combine the basil, spinach, pistachio nuts, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Pulse until everything is finely chopped. ele Tip – if you don’t have a food processor you can use a traditional mortar and pestle.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil through the top. Continue processing until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the pesto to a large bowl. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir until well combined.
- Add the cooked pasta to the bowl with the pesto and toss until the pasta is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Serve the pasta hot, garnished with chopped pistachios and fresh basil leaves, if desired.