A recipe from Chef Tom Walton
Ingredients (Serves 4)
This spaghetti is perfect for easy weeknight dinners but fancy enough for a special occasion. The zucchini, lemon zest, chili and basil are a knockout combination with a creamy vegan sauce made from Califia Farms Unsweetened almond milk with its smooth texture and amazing flavour giving it the most delicious silky finish.
2 tbsp dairy free butter
500g dried spaghetti
2 tbsp plain flour
1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast + extra to serve
Flake salt & fresh ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
3 medium zucchinis, grated
2 clove garlic, grated
Pinch dried chili flakes, optional
Zest 1 lemon
Extra lemon, to serve
½ cup flat parsley, roughly chopped
½ cup toasted pistachio nuts, crushed
1 cup picked basil leaves
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, melt the butter then add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Heat the almond milk in another pan (just to warm), then slowly pour the milk into the flour mix, whisking constantly, to make a smooth sauce.
- Add the garlic, bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes, whisking often. Add the nutritional yeast and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, salt generously and add the spaghetti, cooking according to packet times, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat, add the 3tbsp olive oil, zucchini and garlic. Season lightly and cook for approx. 3-4 minutes until bright green and wilted. Add the lemon zest and chili, and then when the pasta is ready add the drained pasta and ½ cup pasta water along with the almond milk sauce, parsley & pistachios.
- Toss the pasta through the sauce well, over the heat then plate up, scatter the basil leaves to serve along with extra nutritional yeast to sprinkle over. Enjoy!
Tom Walton is a chef and dad from Bondi, Sydney with a focus on family friendly and plant-based delicious recipes. Follow his Instagram here: @cheftomwalton. For more details on Califia Farms visit: califiafarms.com.au or head to @califiafarmau
Want more? Click here for Creamy Avocado Fettuccine with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts.