This Classic Italian Panforte recipe created exclusively for ele by Caroline from The Delightful Cook.
Growing up in an Italian family there was always delicious goodies going around. Especially when Christmas comes around! We have endless days of making delicious homemade sweets that can feed the neighbourhood. One of my favourites is the nutty, sweet and delicious, classic Italian panforte.
Panforte is a traditional Italian dessert originating from Sienna, Tuscany. Filled with delicious fruits and nuts, it is a very easy yet filling dessert to make and you most likely will have all the ingredients in your pantry.
Making the panforte is quite simple as the sugar is dissolved in honey and chocolate and combined with the fruits and nuts. The mixture is then baked in a cake tin and once cooked dusted with beautiful icing sugar before slicing.
Panforte is a perfect festive season treat!
150g roasted hazelnuts
150g roasted almonds
½ cup plain flour
2½ tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup dried figs, roughly chopped
½ cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
½ cup mixed peel
1 cup honey
½ cup white sugar
100g dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
2. Roast the hazelnuts and almonds on a baking tray for 8 minutes. Remove the skins off the hazelnuts. Set aside to slightly cool.
3. Roughly chop the figs, apricots and place in a large bowl. Add the mixed peel, roasted hazelnuts, and almonds to the bowl.
4. Add cocoa powder, mixed spice, flour, cinnamon, vanilla and stir well to combine all the ingredients.
5. In a saucepan on low heat, melt the sugar, honey and dark chocolate until a smooth consistency. Turn off the heat just as the mixture comes to a boil.
6. Working quickly, add the chocolate to the fruit and nut mix and stir extremely well to combine.
7. Add the panforte mixture to the loaf tin and place in the oven to cook for 30-35 minutes.
8. Once cooked set aside to cool. To serve, dust with icing sugar and cut into slices. Enjoy!
Want more delicious desserts? Click here for our Berry Passionfruit Pavlova and here for our Gingerbread Layer Cake.
Want more festive ideas? Click here for a delicious Rum and Cherry Brandy Cocktail and here for how to create a Golden Festive Makeup Look Using Three Products.
I MUST try this!!
Oh my goodness does thus look good