Recipe created exclusively for ele by Justina Ramanauskienė
Layers of moist gingerbread cake sandwiched between sweet cream cheese frosting, this cake will make a beautiful statement on any table.
You will need three 20cm cake tins to create this cake, however if you don’t have three (or enough room in your oven!) you can bake the cake layers separately, it will just take a little more time to complete the recipe.
165 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
200 g brown sugar
160 ml molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature
350 g all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp of baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
½ tsp salt
240 ml milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
400 g cream cheese, at room temperature
150 g butter, cut in small cubes, at room temperature
100 g powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Fresh rosemary and 1 tbsp powdered sugar for cake decoration
To make the cake layers:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare three 20 cm cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom and slightly butter the sides.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and light in colour, about 3 minutes. Add molasses and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined after each.
3. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
4. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk and mix until well combined. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until well combined.
5. Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
6. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove and let it cool completely.
To make the frosting:
1. Add the cream cheese and powdered sugar to a large mixer bowl and beat until well combined.
2. Add butter cube by cube and beat until smooth. Mix in vanilla extract.
To assemble the cake:
1. Use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes.
2. Place the first layer of cake on a serving plate and spread about 1/3 of frosting evenly onto the cake layer. Add the second layer of cake and another part of frosting. Add the last layer of cake on top and frost the outside of the cake with the remaining frosting
3. Decorate the cake with rosemary sprigs and powdered sugar.
4. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Best served at room temperature. Enjoy!