These delicious Individual Chicken and Leek Pies are so easy to make! Tender pieces of chicken and flavorful leeks are cooked in a creamy sauce with a hint of thyme, then baked to perfection under a golden puff pastry crust. This classic comfort food dish is easy to make and perfect for a cozy night in or a special dinner with family and friends. We love to bake them on the weekend and make up extra for the week ahead.
- Leeks – If you don’t have leeks, you can substitute onions or shallots.
- Broth – If you don’t have chicken broth, you can substitute vegetable broth or water with a bouillon cube.
- Heavy cream – you can substitute half-and-half or milk (note that the sauce will be less rich).
- Thyme – you can substitute other dried herbs like rosemary or sage.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Optional – blanched green peas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks, carrot and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the chicken and vegetables, stirring to coat everything evenly.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and cream to the skillet, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Stir in the thyme, blanched peas (if using) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface and cut it in quarters to fit 4 ramekins.
- Pour the chicken and leek mixture into the pie dishes.
- Place the puff pastry on top of each of the pie dishes and allowing some to fall over the edges.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of the pastry.
- Bake the pies for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is heated through. Serve and enjoy!
ele Tip – you can also make one large pie by putting the chicken mix into 1 large pie dish and covering with a single sheet or puff pastry, note the baking time will be 5-7 minutes longer.
Want more? Click here for How To Make The Perfect Roast Chicken.