Easter is almost here, and this is one holiday we get very excited about! Food, chocolate and holidays, it is hard not to love it. This Easter Layer Cake from Wiltshire will be the perfect centerpiece for your easter table, we guarantee your guests young and old will marvel at how pretty this pastel cake is.
Easter Pastel Layer Cake
Skill level: Medium
Prep/cook time: 20 mins prep | 35 min cook
• 155g unsalted butter, softened
• 155ml vegetable oil
• 415g caster sugar
• 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
• 5 large eggs, room temperature
• 560g plain flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
• Pink, blue and yellow gel food colouring
• 300g unsalted butter, softened
• 500g icing sugar, sifted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
• 80g speckled mini eggs, to serve
• 80g mini chocolate eggs, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350F) and grease and line the base and sides of 3 x 20cm (8 inch) Wiltshire Rose Gold Round Cake Pans with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a hand mixer) beat together the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until combined.
- Fold through half the flour mixture to the butter mixture then add the buttermilk and fold through. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk folding each through until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into three bowls and add a few drops of each gel food colouring until you have a pink, blue and yellow batter.
- Transfer each coloured batter to one of the cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Trim around the edges of each layer cake to expose the coloured crumb.
- To make the buttercream, beat butter and vanilla bean paste in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for 8 minutes until pale and fluffy. Turn the mixer off and sift in the icing sugar.
- Mix on lowest speed until icing sugar has begun to incorporate, then increase speed and mix on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer buttercream to a piping bag with a large round nozzle and pipe a layer of icing on top of one the blue cake layer, top with the yellow cake layer and pipe more buttercream on top, then top with the pink cake layer and pipe on the remaining buttercream.
- Scatter mini eggs in the centre to serve.
Want more? Try our delicious Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns recipe.