This is one of those cake recipes that you will continue to go back to time and time again and it has the added benefit of being gluten-free so the whole family can enjoy it.
It really isn’t difficult, the trick is to make sure you separate the eggs correctly and beat the egg whites so that soft peaks have formed.
Our oven is gas and it runs hot so it is worth testing the cake after 20 minutes to see how the cake is cooking. We baked our cake for exactly 25 minutes and it was perfect.
1 1/2 cups of almond flour
3/4 cup of caster sugar
4 large eggs (or 5 small eggs)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp lemon zest (you will need two lemons for enough zest)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 punnet of fresh raspberries
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (350F).
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Using a wooden spoon mix the egg yolks with the almond flour, lemon zest, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. The mix will be quite thick.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form (about 3 minutes).
- Mix the egg yolk mix with the egg whites and gently fold through until all ingredients are combined.
- Line an 8inch round cake tin with baking paper and pour in cake mix.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes until the cake is cooked through.
- Remove cake and allow to cool. Once cool, remove from the cake tin and dust with sifted icing sugar. Spring lemon zest on top and add fresh raspberries. Serve and enjoy!
ele tip – this cake is delicious with a spoon of dollop or double thick cream.