One of the most loved recipes here at ele is our delicious Italian Lemon and Olive Oil Cake that makes the most of beautiful fresh lemons to create a sweet delicious citrusy treat. This new Orange Drizzle Cake recipe is similar – moist, sweet and delicious with a sweet orange hint but features a drizzle icing similar to our classic Lemon Drizzle Cake.
The best thing about this recipe is how perfectly moist it is, trust us you will go back time and time again to it. It is also so easy to make and the mix can be whipped up and in the oven in about 10-15 minutes.
We love the herb addition of fresh thyme which is growing wild in the ele kitchen garden, however you can omit it if you don’t have any thyme available or prefer it without it.
Fresh juicy in-season sweet oranges are the best to use in this recipe, you could also use blood orange for a more tart taste however we love the sweetness of plain oranges.
1 cup self-raising flour
2/3 cup sugar (fine caster sugar works best)
1 tsp baking power
2/3 cup butter, chopped & softened until it is almost melted
3 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp of orange zest
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
To make the syrup combine orange juice and caster sugar and stir through well.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C (350 F).
2. Grease and flour a 9 inch bundt or normal cake tin.
3. Combine all cake batter ingredients – flour, baking powder, butter, eggs, sugar, juice, orange zest and thyme and beat with an electric beater or hand beater until a smooth batter forms.
4. Pour batter in to cake tin and bake in oven for 25 – 30 minutes until the cake is cooked through and is golden on top. You can use a skewer to test the cake – it is ready when it comes out clean.
5. Pour the orange syrup on the cake while it is still warm and let the cake sit for 15 minutes. Remove from cake tin and serve.
ele tip – this cake is delicious served warm with a dollop of double cream. It will also keep well in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Want more? Click here for our Orange Roasted Chicken and here for our Kugelhopf Bundt Cake.
Pingback: Orange And Thyme Cake | Cleveland Foxers
Pingback: Cherry Blossom, Raspberry and Orange Cake -