Roast Chicken with Orange and Rosemary recipe was created exclusively for ele by Justina Ramanauskienė.
With the festive season fast approaching, having a delicious go-to roast chicken recipe is a must and this is one of our favourites, fragrant rosemary and sweet citrus combine to create a delicious aroma that will have you salivating way before it comes out of the oven.
This roast chicken would be the perfect centrepiece for your Sunday table or an alternative to turkey for Thanksgiving lunch. Of course, you don’t need an event to cook a delicious roast, this chicken recipe is perfect any time of the year – add roast potatoes and all the trimmings in the cooler months and in summer serve with crisp green salad and chilled white wine.
However you choose to serve it, this is one recipe that stands the rest of time, making it a kitchen classic that you can keep coming back to.
1 whole chicken (1.2 – 1.5 kg)
100g room temperature butter
1 orange, zested and sliced in 4 – 6 pieces
3 garlic cloves
1 bundle of rosemary
1 small onion, cut in quarters
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 oranges and a sprig of rosemary to garnish
1. Mix room temperature butter with orange zest, finely chopped rosemary, mashed garlic, salt and pepper. Place the butter in plastic wrap, form a 10 cm long log and refrigerate until firm. Then cut into disks.
2. Preheat the oven to 160°C degrees. Place the orange juice in the bottom of a dutch oven.
3. Stuff the chicken with orange slices, quartered onion and rosemary bundle.
4. Rub the butter under the skin of the chicken breast and the outside of the wings and legs. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
5. Place it into the dutch oven and cover with the lid. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for another 20 – 30 minutes.
6. Garnish with grilled (optional) orange slices and rosemary sprigs. Serve and enjoy!