Risotto is the ultimate comfort food – creamy, rich and buttery it is a regular on our dinner list particularly when the weather is cool. This Pumpkin, Asparagus and Spinach Risotto recipe is a great weeknight recipe, the roasted pumpkin is sweet and delicious and combines perfectly with the fresh asparagus and green spinach leaves.
Pumpkin, Asparagus and Spinach Risotto
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
4 spring onions
1 cup Arborio Rice
1 litre of hot chicken or vegetable stock
4-5 spears of asparagus, woody end removed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 cups of pumpkin, chopped into 1 inch squares
1 cup baby spinach leaves
3 tbsp of white wine
3/4 cup aged parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 tbsp olive oil
Knob of butter
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place the roast pumpkin in an oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven for 30 minutes until soft. Remove and set aside.
- Lightly sauté the sliced spring onions in butter until they are translucent. Add the chopped asparagus and gently fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Arborio rice and toast until the rice is coated with butter.
- Add the white wine and once the rice has absorbed most of the wine. Add a ladle full of the hot chicken or vegetable stock, allow it to simmer and absorb most of the stock.
- Repeat the process until the rice is almost cooked through, being sure to continue stirring the rice regularly as it cooks, it will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Mash the pumpkin roughly with a fork and add to the rice, stir through. Add the baby spinach and stir through until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, add a knob of butter and 1/2 cup of finely grated parmesan and stir through. Season and serve immediately with the extra parmesan cheese. Enjoy!