Is there anything better than the smell of homemade cinnamon scrolls baking in the oven? This scroll recipe is so quick and easy and requires no resting time. The scrolls are best eaten on the day of baking. This recipe, along with many more delicious recipes and ideas, features in Issue 4 of ele Magazine.
Ingredients (Makes 12)
Recipe & images: Jo O’Keefe for ele Magazine
2 cups self-raising flour
2 tablespoons castor sugar
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C (390F).
2. In a large mixing bowl, rub the softened butter into the flour until it resembles a breadcrumb texture. Add sugar, milk and egg and work into a dough.
3. Roll out the dough on to a lightly floured bench, knead lightly and roll into a rectangle shape about 1.5cm thick.
4. Mix all of the filling ingredients together and spread with filling mix on to the pastry, spread the mix evenly out to the sides.
5. Roll up the pastry into a log and slice into scrolls about 1 inch thick.
4. Place the scrolls, almost touching, onto a paper lined baking tray. Brush with a little melted butter and bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.
5. While the scrolls are baking, mix all of the frosting ingredients together.
6. When the scrolls are ready, remove from oven and serve hot topped with the frosting. Enjoy!