Need a delicious glazed ham recipe for your Christmas lunch? This recipe by Justine Schofield will be a go-to for years to come.
This recipe is so easy and will add something special to your festive table this year.
Ingredients (serves 10)
Cooking time 45 minutes
1 x 8-10 kg whole Otway Pork ham leg
Cloves, to stud (optional)
1 tsp. Chinese 5 spice
3/4 cup marmalade
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1. Remove ham from the fridge 1 hour before baking.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lower rack to bottom shelf.
3. Cut around the hock, and with the tip of a small knife, loosen the rind. Carefully peel rind back with the knife and your hands, ensuring the fat is kept intact.
4. Score a criss-cross pattern in the fat (stud with cloves if you like at this stage). Scoring the ham allows the glaze to stick and the fat to render, creating a glorious golden crust.
5. Place the ham on a rack in a large baking tray that’s lined with foil (this will make washing up much easier).
6. In a small saucepan, add the glaze ingredients and bring to the boil, whisking to combine well. Cook for 5 minutes or until thick.
7. Using a pastry brush, dab half of the glaze over the ham. Add 1 cup of water to the tray.
8. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes basting every 10-15 minutes until a thick, glazed crust forms.
9. Rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. Serve and enjoy!