One of the most beloved recipes here at ele is our Italian Olive Oil and Lemon Cake, this recipe, along with our other lemon cake recipes are saved over and over again. This new recipe is for our Lemon Olive Oil Loaf Cake tin version, that also combines Greek yoghurt with juicy fresh lemon and Italian olive oil.
This cake is so moist and delicious and it is a great addition to work and school lunch boxes.
Lemon Olive Oil Loaf Cake
1 3/4 cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup plain Greek yoghurt
Zest of 2 lemons
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Lemon Icing Glaze
1 1/4 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1. Pre heat oven to 180C/350F.
2. Grease a loaf tin (you can line with baking paper if you prefer.
3. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer and mix sugars and lemon zest until fully combined. Add yoghurt, olive oil and eggs. Mix for another 1 minute on low until well combined.
4. Add flour, baking power and salt and mix lightly until all ingredients have combined and cake batter is formed.
5. Pour into your prepared loaf tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until cake is cooked through. ele Tip – each oven varies so check your cake with a skewer at 35-40 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
7. In a bowl mix icing sugar and lemon juice until Mixed through. Drizzle on top of cooled cake and top with lemon zest. Serve and enjoy!
This cake will last for 2-3 days in an airtight container. We decorated our lemon cake with homegrown lavender sprigs.