Our Spinach Pesto Gnocchi Recipe with is a super green, delicious and nutritious meal that can be made in under 30 minutes! The soft and pillowy gnocchi pairs perfectly with the gorgeously fresh green spinach pesto sauce, which is loaded with healthy spinach, basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan cheese. This dish is a great way to sneak in some leafy greens into your diet, while enjoying a comforting and satisfying meal. It is also vegetarian and can be easily made vegan with a few ingredient substitutions.
Gnocchi: You can substitute the gnocchi with any type of pasta such as penne, fusilli or spaghetti.
Pine nuts: Pine nuts can be quite expensive, so you can substitute them with walnuts, almonds, pistachios or cashews.
Spinach leaves: If you don’t have spinach leaves, you can substitute them with kale or arugula leaves.
Parmesan cheese: If you are lactose intolerant or vegan, you can substitute parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese.
Olive oil: You can substitute olive oil with any other vegetable oil such as canola oil or avocado oil.
- 500g (1.1 lbs) of gnocchi
- 4 cups (120g) of spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (20g) of fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup (50g) of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (70g) of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet and roast them for 5-7 minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- In a food processor, combine the roasted pine nuts, spinach leaves, basil leaves, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse the mixture until it is finely chopped.
- While the food processor is running, slowly pour in the olive oil and blend until the pesto is smooth and well combined.
- Cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions, or until they float to the surface of the boiling water.
- Drain the cooked gnocchi and toss them with the spinach pesto until they are evenly coated.
- Serve the spinach pesto gnocchi hot, garnished with extra grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of fresh basil or baby leaves. Enjoy!