In Issue 1 of ele Magazine, we wanted to create some delicious Street Food recipes that you can make at home. This pizza recipe is inspired by a classic Lamb Souvlaki. You can make your own dough (try our no-rise recipe below), or use a store bought base for a fast and easy dinner.
Recipe and Images by Jo O’Keefe for ele Magazine
Fast Pizza Dough (no rise) *Makes a 10-12 inch pizza base
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 teaspoon dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 1/2 cups plain flour or bakers’ flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Mix your water, yeast and honey and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
2. After 10 minutes, mix in your salt and flour if you need more water add it a trickle at a time or alternatively add a sprinkle more of flour as you go. The aim is to get a silky dough.
3. Knead dough for a few minutes and then let it sit for 5 minutes or longer. If you’re in hurry that’s cool but if you have time let it sit for an hour to develop a stronger flavour but honestly – it’s a super great versatile dough either way.
Lamb Souvlaki Pizza with Tzatziki Sauce
1 ball of fast rise pizza dough (see above)
2 lamb leg steaks cut into cubes, trimmed of fat and mixed with 1 tablespoon olive oil (or use leftover roast lamb)
1/2 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup tomato sugo/Napoli sauce (store brought is perfect)
1/2 eggplant grilled in slices (ele tip- use a sandwich press to grill eggplant slices fast)
Greek kalamata olives, pips removed
3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 rosemary sprig (optional)
1 cup natural yoghurt
Squeeze of lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic, chopped finely
1 small Lebanese cucumber, grated
Salt and pepper
- To make tzatziki, mix all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat your oven as hot as it goes. That’s the ticket to a fast-crusty pizza.
- Roll out your dough to 1/3 inch think and pop onto your pizza tray or hot pizza stone. Spread over your Napoli sauce using the back of the spoon to spread it evenly leaving an edges. Sprinkle over the grated mozzarella, place on the marinated lamb pieces and eggplant slices, then scatter with olives.
- Into your hot oven it goes and don’t wander too far away, this one will be ready in approx. 10 minutes. If the underneath needs bit more browning slide your pizza onto the oven rack directly and crisp up the bottom for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh rosemary (optional) and drizzle with tzatziki sauce.
- If you love greens put some fresh baby spinach on top and squeeze some more lemon juice over to top for added zing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Love pizza? Try our Smoked Bacon, Blue Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pizza or our Pizza Bianca with Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche.