Our Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is a delicious and comforting soup recipe that’s perfect for any season! With just a handful of ingredients and a little bit of roasting, you can create a rich and satisfying soup that’s perfect for lunch, dinner, or as a dinner party starter. Trust us, this soup recipe will beat store-bought tomato soup every day. Our recipe features ripe tomatoes roasted with onion and garlic for depth of flavor and is blended with broth and finished with a decadent cream and fresh basil for a perfectly smooth finish.
- Instead of fresh tomatoes, you can use canned diced tomatoes.
- If you don’t have fresh basil, you can use dried basil or substitute with other fresh herbs such as thyme or oregano.
- Instead of heavy cream, you can use coconut milk for a dairy-free option or omit the cream altogether for a lighter soup.
- You can use vegetable or chicken broth depending on your preference or dietary restrictions.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use any neutral oil such as canola or vegetable oil.
- 2 pounds (900 grams) ripe tomatoes, cored and halved
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 4 cups (1 liter) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the halved tomatoes on the baking sheet, cut side up.
- Sprinkle the chopped onion and minced garlic over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender and lightly browned.
- Transfer the roasted tomatoes and onion mixture to a large pot.
- Add the vegetable or chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- If desired, stir in the heavy cream and chopped basil.
- Simmer the soup for an additional 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or croutons.
Want more? See all of our delicious soup recipes here.