By Matthew Butcher, Creative Director of Yugo.
Three Tips For Breakfast In Bed
1. Freshest is best. The morning is the most optimal time to be nourishing our bodies with awesome produce full of vitamins and minerals. Most important during this time when immunity is key! I know it’s hard to find the right stuff out there at the moment, but support local where you can and try and find the best ingredients so your dish is as nutritious as it is delicious.
2. Play music in the background. We’re all so used to having the TV going, looking straight at our phones the minute we wake up. We forget that the morning calls for calm, and can set us up for the rest of the day. Before breakfast is even served, try playing some nice jazz music or something chilled to enjoy your meal and family time with.
3. This sounds silly, but make sure you plate up on a dish that has a lip or has heightened edges. Eating in bed is tricky at the best of times! I don’t want to sleep amongst my breakfast that night, so to reduce spillage be thoughtful about the dishes you choose to plate up on.
Cinnamon Swirl Buttermilk Pancakes
280g Plain flour
2 tsp Baking powder
2 tsp Bi carbonate soda
125g Brown sugar
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth and reserve.
2. Melt brown sugar and cinnamon to make a thick syrup and place in small piping bag.
3. Heat a lightly oiled non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter into the pan, using approximately 30g for each pancake. Brown on one side and pipe swirl into batter with cinnamon syrup. Flip pancake and cook the other side of the pancake.
Rum soaked raisins
100g sugar syrup
Place all ingredients in a sauce pot and cook over a gentle heat to bloom the raisins.
Whipped Butter & Cinnamon Icing Sugar
200g icing sugar
Pinch flaked salt
Leave butter out at room temperature, once softened fully place in kitchen-aid with paddle attachment, season with flaked salt. Blend cinnamon and icing sugar to make the icing sugar.
1. Stack 3-4 pancakes on top of each other
2. Add a dollop of whipped butter
3. Drizzle rum soaked raisins and syrup
4. Dust with cinnamon icing sugar
5. Serve with English Breakfast tea