This classic apple pie recipe is a true family favorite, the type of recipe that is passed down through generations. Made with thinly sliced, peeled and cored apples, this pie is packed with flavor and has a perfect balance of sweetness and spices. The double crust gives a nice balance of the flaky crust and the juicy apples.
Whether you’re serving it for a special occasion or just a casual dinner, this recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone. Let’s get started on this delicious homemade apple pie recipe that will be your new favorite too.
- Flour – Instead of all-purpose flour, you can use 1/4 cup (30g) of cornstarch or arrowroot powder for a gluten-free version.
- Sugar – If you don’t have granulated sugar, you can use 1/2 cup (100g) of brown sugar or coconut sugar instead.
- Spice – For a more complex flavor, you can substitute ground cinnamon with equal parts ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Butter – If you don’t have butter, you can use 2 tablespoons (30g) of coconut oil or vegan butter as a substitute.
- Egg – If you don’t have an egg, you can use 1 tablespoon (15ml) of milk or non-dairy milk as a substitute for brushing on top of the pie crust.
- Apple – You can substitute the apples with other fruits such as pears, berries, or peaches.
- Additions – For a twist on the classic recipe, you can add raisins or dried cranberries to the apple filling, or top it with a streusel instead of a traditional pie crust.
- 1 recipe for a double-crust pie dough
- 1/2 cup (125g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1g) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 8 cups (2 kg) thinly sliced, peeled and cored apples (about 8-10 apples)
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- Roll out half of the pie dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/8 inch (3mm). Transfer to a 9-inch (23cm) pie dish.
- Toss the apples with the sugar mixture until evenly coated. Arrange the apples in the pie dish, mounding them slightly in the center. Dot the butter over the top of the apples.
- Roll out the remaining pie dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/8 inch (3mm). Place the dough over the apples, pressing the edges together to seal. Cut a few slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender. Let cool before serving. Enjoy!
This delicious Classic Apple Pie Recipe is sure to be a hit with all of your loved ones! You can serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. You can also store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months once it is baked. This recipe is a true classic and a must-try for any home baker. We hope you enjoy this delicious and comforting pie as much as we do. Happy baking!