This Spinach and Ricotta Gnudi recipe is simple to make and tastes delicious. The Italian balls of creamy ricotta and spinach are perfect served with homemade tomato sauce, it will transport you straight to Italy!
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 cups of fresh ricotta cheese
1 bag of baby spinach leaves
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup of plain flour
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
1 tin of crushed tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Handful of basil leaves, shredded
- To make the sauce, gently fry onions in olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic, crushed tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and simmer until the sauce has reduced. Add basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Wilt baby spinach in a saucepan over low heat until reduced down, drain and squeeze out excess water and finely chop.
- Once the spinach is cool add the ricotta, parmesan cheese and egg. Mix through and season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into balls about 1.5 inches wide and lightly coat in flour.
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Gently add the gnudi balls and cook for about 5 minutes, the gnudi will float to the top when they are cooked.
- Remove gnudi with a slotted spoon, drain well and add to serving bowls.
- Top with the homemade tomato sauce and grated Parmesan cheese and extra basil leaves. Serve and enjoy!
ELE tip- depending on the size of your pot, you may need to cook the gnudi in batches to ensure they don’t stick together or get too crowded in the pot.