This pasta dish is so simple and packed full of delicious ingredients, it is equally at home on the table for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or as a perfect dish to serve for lunch al fresco, accompanied by a crisp white wine and plenty of crusty bread.
While the ingredients lend themselves to midsummer when basil and tomatoes are ripe and in season, it works equally well at any time of the year as long as you can get good quality tomatoes and basil. Because this dish is so simple, it is all about the quality, freshness and flavour of the minimal ingredients.
The chilli is optional (you can add more or less to taste) and this dish is meant to be served as a shared meal, it will serve 2-3 depending on your appetite!
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
Truss Tomatoes (6-8 on vine)
200 grams dried pasta (we used curls but penne or spirals will also work well)
75 grams of black kalamata olives, sliced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of dried chilli
1/2 ball of buffalo mozzarella
Small bunch of fresh green basil
Salt & pepper, to serve
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C (350F).
2. On a sheet of baking paper on an oven tray, place vine tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes until the tomatoes are blistered and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. In a large pot bring salted water to boil, add pasta and cook according to packet instructions. Once cooked drain and return to pot.
4. Stir through olive oil, sliced olives, chilli flakes, white balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve pasta in a large bowl, topped with buffalo mozzarella, basil leaves and truss tomatoes.
6. Serve and enjoy!