Recipe and Images by Emma Duckworth for ele Magazine
Creamy whipped coconut filling, a sweet biscuit base and tart juicy grapefruit curd combine to make a delicious dessert, which is perfect for the festive season (or any time of the year really!). It isn’t difficult to make and won’t take long, however it does require up to 6 hours refrigeration time so it is best made the day before you want to serve it.
Ingredients (Serves 10)
Prep Time 30 minutes Refrigeration time: 4-6 hours
For the biscuit base
200g digestive biscuits
100g butter, melted
For the grapefruit curd
6 egg yolks
240g caster sugar
120ml grapefruit juice
Zest of 1 grapefruit
2 teaspoon cornflour
¼ teaspoon salt
80g butter, cubed
For the whipped coconut cream
1 can coconut cream
100g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
To decorate: (optional)
1 tablespoon coconut flakes
1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
2 grapefruit slices cut into quarters
1. Lightly grease a 24cm deep, loose bottom round tart tin. Process biscuits and butter in a food processor until fine breadcrumbs. Place into the bottom of the tin and press into the base and sides of the prepared tin. The crumb has to be compacted firmly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Combine egg yolks, caster sugar, grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest, corn flour and salt in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, making sure the pan does not touch the water. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens or the back of a spoon is coated, this takes about 10 minutes but can also take up to 20 minutes.
3. Remove the bowl off the simmering pan and add the butter whisking until fully melted and combined.
4. Strain through a sieve into a bowl and set aside to cool completely. Once cool, pour the curd into the base of the tart and re-refrigerate for 2 hours or preferably overnight.
5. Prior to serving, spoon the coconut cream from the can into a bowl (discard the remaining coconut water). Add the icing sugar and vanilla bean extract and whisk with electric beaters until fluffy. Spoon onto the set curd and decorate with grapefruit slices, coconut flakes and grapefruit zest. Slice and serve immediately.
Want more? Click here for a Classic Italian Panforte and here for a Classic Lemon Tart.
Pingback: Blueberry Lemon Curd Tiramisu -