There are some desserts that stand the test of time and Classic Lemon Tart is one of them. Sweet, buttery pastry filled with delicious lemony filling will always be a crowd favourite, particularly for citrus lovers. While the origins of this dessert are up for debate, Tarte au Citron it is most commonly associated with French cuisine and never fails to remind us of the stunning French Riviera.
The lemon tree in the ele Garden is laden with juicy ripe fruit at the moment, making it the perfect time to make this classic tart.
Classic Lemon Tart (Tarte au Citron)
1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour
125 grams of butter, cubed
1/2 a cup of icing sugar, sifted
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons of cold water
1/3 of a cup of fresh lemon juice
1/2 a cup of caster sugar
1 cup (250ml) of thickened cream
3 egg yolks
- To make the pastry, rub together flour and butter until fine crumbs form.
- Add the icing sugar, egg yolks and two tablespoons of cold water. Mix together until the dough forms.
- With your hand turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two and then roll into a flat disc shape about 1 inch thick. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C (350F). Remove the pastry from fridge and place between two sheets of baking paper and roll flat to about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Place in a lightly greased fluted tart tin that has a loose base. Make sure that the pastry is slightly over the edge of the tart tin and trim edges with a knife. Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Cover the pastry case with baking paper and blind bake using pastry weights or dried beans or rice. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove baking weights and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool while you prepare the lemon filling.
- To make lemon filling, combine the cream, sugar, eggs, egg yolks and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Carefully pour the lemon filling in to the cooled pastry case.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 140 C (280 F) and very carefully place the tart in the oven (you can place in a flat baking tray if easier). Bake for 30-35 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Sprinkle with a little extra icing sugar and serve. Enjoy!
Love lemons? Try our delicious Italian Olive Oil and Lemon Cake with Flowering Rosemary or our Spaghetti with Zucchini, Ricotta and Lemon.
looks really good. I will try the recipe!
Hope you enjoy it!
We must be on the same wavelength. I made lemon bars this weekend because our lemon tree is full of fruit! https://simplefood.blog/2019/07/07/luscious-lemon-bars/
Looks delicious. THanks for sharing. margaret
Ours is too! So many lemons we need some more recipes to try!
Is thickened cream different from whipping cream? Lemon desserts are my favorite!
This lemon tart looks so good. We’ve made lemon bars but this lemon tart looks like it takes a lemon treat to the next level. Thanks for sharing!
Pingback: Ingredients for a Beautiful Life!Eat: Homemade Lemon Icy Poles
Pingback: Grapefruit Curd Tart -
This looks delicious!
Pingback: Classic Lemon Tart Recipe (Tarte au Citron) | Cleveland Foxers