How delicious are home-baked savoury tarts, filling the kitchen with the aroma of golden pastry and creamy filings. This tart makes the most of seasonal pumpkin (for our northern hemisphere friends!) which, combined with smoky bacon and spinach is a total crowd pleaser.
2 sheets of store-brought shortcut pastry (homemade will also work beautifully)
400 grams of pumpkin, cubed
I brown onion, diced
4 rashers of shortcut bacon, diced
2 tbsp of olive oil
100g feta cheese
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
300ml of thickened cream
2 large eggs
1 cup of baby spinach
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F.
- To make tart case, line a round tart dish with baking paper and lay the shortcut pastry in to dish, pushing it into the edges making sure the sides are fully covered. You may need to use the second sheet of pastry to cover all of the edges.
- Prick the base of the pastry case with a fork and blind bake in the oven using pastry weights or dried beans for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Drizzle cubed pumpkin with 1 tbsp of olive oil and bake in oven for about 40 minutes until pumpkin is golden and cooked through.
- In the meantime, lightly fry onion and bacon in remaining olive oil until the onion is translucent and cooked through.
- In a bowl mix eggs, cream and Parmesan cheese. Add baby spinach to egg mix and gently stir through.
- When pumpkin is cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Layer the tart case with onion and bacon, top with roast pumpkin and then pour over the egg and spinach mix. Crumble feta on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake tart in oven for 20-25 mins until lightly golden and set (test with a skewer).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!