Recipe and Images by Jo O’Keefe for ele Magazine.
This delicious salad recipe is packed full of goodness and is a great accompaniment to meat and fish or perfect on its own served with some crusty bread. The recipe features in our current issue of ele Magazine which is available in newsagents now.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
3 whole sweet potatoes cubed /chunks
One can of drained chickpeas dusted with 1/2 a teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/2 a teaspoon cumin powder
4 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Seeds of 1 pomegranate or frozen pomegranate arils
80 grams feta cheese
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1. Preheat Oven 190C degrees.
2. Cut 3 sweet potatoes or 600 grams of pumpkin into cubes or chunks. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and pop into the oven to roast for approx. 25 minutes.
3. At 25 minutes when your vegetables are almost done, add in the chickpeas to toast for the last five minutes.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Drizzle with lemon juice, toss through spinach leaves, red onion slices and remaining olive oil.
5. Put onto a serving platter and top with crumbled feta & pomegranate arils. Enjoy!
ele Tip * this salad is a fabulous base to create from – add in toasted seeds or smoked almonds, drizzle with pomegranate molasses, sprinkle with fresh coriander or mint, switch feta with pan-fried haloumi slices or add in roasted carrots or beets – just get creative!