Buttery puff pastry, creamy blue cheese and nutty walnuts make this pull apart pastry twirl oh so delicious. It’s also versatile, simple to make and pretty much universally loved by everyone that tries it.
Watch us make this recipe here!
It is a great alternative to serving bread with soup, can be made in advance for school or work lunchboxes and also works as a light dinner or lunch, by just adding a green salad or steamed greens on the side.
The first time we baked it we made the mistake of only using one sheet of puff pastry and the whole thing was eaten before it had a chance to come off the cooling rack. We now use two sheets of pastry and try to stop ourselves (sometimes unsuccessfully) from eating it all at once!
2 sheets of puff pastry (square shaped sheets)
2 tablespoons of honey
100 grams of blue cheese, crumbled
100 grams of grated Parmesan cheese
50 grams of walnuts, chopped
6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon of milk
Sea salt and cracked pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C (350F). Note, we use a gas oven that runs quite hot – you can increase to 200C (390F) in an electric non fan forced oven.
2. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of honey on each sheet of puff pastry.
3. Divide walnuts, blue cheese and Parmesan cheese and scatter over each sheet of puff pastry. Top with fresh thyme leaves and season with sea salt and cracked pepper.
4. Roll up each sheet of pastry and cut in half lengthways (you may need to tuck the pastry in after cutting to keep filling in).
5. On a sheet of baking paper carefully twist each length of pastry and make a round coil shape. Brush with milk and bake in oven for about 25-30 mins until pastry is puffed and golden and cooked through.
6. Remove from oven, scatter extra thyme leaves on top and serve warm. Enjoy!
ELE tip – try different toppings on this pastry pull apart, we love minced garlic and cheddar cheese or bacon, black olives and feta cheese. Want to make it sweet? Try stewed apple with cinnamon and honey.
Love puff pastry (who doesn’t?!) click here for our Asparagus, Prosciutto, Brie Cheese, Egg and a Thyme tarts and here for our Chicken and Pea Pie.