Midsummer is the perfect time to make use of delicious ripe juicy in-season peaches and blueberries, two of our favourite summer fruits. Combined with buttery, flaky pastry and thick dollop cream you have a perfect summer dessert.
If you are on the other side of the globe where it’s the middle of winter, you can use frozen berries and preserved peaches for this recipe, which will work equally well. Although of course there is nothing like the taste of freshly picked peaches straight from the tree.
3 ripe yellow peaches, stones removed and sliced
Half a punnet of blueberries
100g blueberry jam
1 sheet of puff pastry (store bought or homemade)
1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
1 tablespoon of icing sugar
Dollop cream, to serve
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C (350F).
2. Using a large plate or round tin as a stencil, cut the puff pastry sheet in to a round shape.
3. Lay puff pastry on a sheet of baking paper on a flat oven tray.
4. Spoon blueberry jam on to the pastry and smooth out to the edges leaving about a 1 inch border.
5. Lay sliced peaches in a circular motion started at the outside and working in until the jam is fully covered.
6. Scatter with blueberries and sprinkle with sugar. Using a pastry brush, brush the milk on the edges of the pastry.
7. Bake in oven for about 15-18 minutes until the edges are golden and fruit is cooked through.
8. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly. Using a sifter sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve with dollop cream. Enjoy!